2022 Ford Escape Model Review with Prices, Photos, & Specs
- Starting at $27,025 MSRP*
- Choice of a standard 1.5L EcoBoost® engine with 181 horsepower or an optional 2.0L EcoBoost® with 250 horsepower
- Standard 28 city / 34 highway / 30 combined MPG**
- Available All-Wheel Drive with AWD Disconnect
- Standard SYNC® Voice Recognition Communications and Entertainment System with 4.2-inch color LCD screen
- Optional Panoramic Vista Roof®
- Standard FordPass Connect™ with 4G LTE Wi-Fi® Hotspot
- Five Selectable Drive Modes with available 12.3-inch instrument cluster
About the Ford Escape
Perfectly suited to drivers who crave a balance of capability and practicality, the dynamic Ford Escape is packed with the technology and style you need to help make the most of your day. Eager to get a head start on your weekend plans? The Escape delivers a cavernous 65.4 cubic feet of cargo room made possible by its clever 60/40 split-folding rear seats. Drivers can choose between a standard 1.5L EcoBoost® engine with 181 horsepower or an optional 2.0L EcoBoost® with 250 horsepower – each designed specifically to deliver a blend of power and efficiency.
No matter what type of terrain or weather conditions you face, the Escape is able to excel thanks to its optional All-Wheel Drive with AWD Disconnect. Helping you save time and money at the pump, its specialized Auto Start-Stop Technology means you can go further with every fill-up. Other highlights and premium amenities found inside the interior of the Escape include comfortable leather upholstery and a Bang & Olufsen 10-speaker audio system. Lending a helping hand when you need it the most, every Ford Escape comes standard with revolutionary Ford Co-Pilot360 active safety technology.
What the Critics Say
“The Escape's cabin is functional and pleasantly laid out. The primary controls are easy to reach, and the steering wheel buttons take no time to decipher. The Sync 3 touchscreen interface is snappy and simple to operate as well. The driver's seat gives you a commanding view outward, and it's only mildly impeded by the rising beltline toward the rear. The seat itself offers numerous adjustments that make it a cinch to dial in the perfect position.” — Edmunds
“Yes, the Ford Escape is a good SUV. Models with the base engine get solid gas mileage, and the optional turbo-four helps deliver eager acceleration. The Escape rides smoothly, has two rows of comfy seats, and provides plenty of cargo space. The available SYNC 3 infotainment system is intuitive as well.” — U.S. News & World Report
What’s New for 2022
Changes to the successful Ford Escape are minor for the 2022 model year. The sole updates from last year’s model are the addition of three new exterior color options. These include Iced Blue, Flight Blue, and Atlas Blue. Aside from these small additions, the popular Ford Escape remains a leader in its segment.
Ford Escape Features
Proven Performance & Style
There are two distinct powertrain choices available on the Ford Escape. Included as standard is an economical 181-horsepower 1.5L EcoBoost® engine that combines efficiency with responsive acceleration. Craving a bit more muscle? Drivers an also opt for the available 250-horsepower 2.0L EcoBoost® engine, tuned to deliver both power and fuel economy. Regardless of engine choice, you’ll also receive a responsive 8-speed SelectShift® automatic transmission along with Auto Stop-Start Technology to further boost fuel economy. An available All-Wheel Drive system featuring AWD Disconnect means that you can stay in control during harsh weather conditions. When properly equipped, the Ford Escape delivers a maximum towing capacity of up to 3,500 pounds – perfect for a small utility trailer or even a pair of jet skis. LED signature lighting helps to further accentuate the eye-catching exterior styling found across the entire Escape model range.
From the moment you take a seat behind the wheel of the Ford Escape, you’ll instantly appreciate the spaciousness and premium feel of the interior. A perfect example is its available Panoramic Vista Roof® that’s able to tilt upwards or fully open to fill the cabin with fresh air and natural lighting. Drivers can also outfit the interior to suit their needs thanks to a number of clever seating arrangements made possible by the standard 60/40 split-folding rear seats. Featuring 7 individual hues, you can also use the ambient lighting system to tailor the mood of the interior to match your preferences. Perfect for chilly winter mornings, the available leather-trimmed steering wheel inside the Ford Escape helps you stay warm with its handy heating function. Available ActiveX seating upholstery combines the premium feel of leather with outstanding durability.
Cutting-edge technology features help you stay connected to your social circle inside the Ford Escape. Optional SYNC® 3 lets you experience easy-to-use, responsive voice-activated technology via a standard 4.2-inch color LCD screen or an available 8-inch touchscreen. Included as standard, FordPass Connect™ includes Wi-Fi® Hotspot capability that gives you the freedom to find parking, get key vehicle information, check fuel prices, and even unlock your Escape remotely. Helping you keep your eyes safely on the road ahead is an optional Head-Up Display that shows important information on a 6-inch widescreen in your line of vision. The Escape also includes 5 individual drive modes that give you more flexibility when traveling across a variety of different types of terrain. These five modes include Normal, Deep Snow/Sand, Slippery, Sport, and ECO.
Groundbreaking Driver Assistance
Engineered to keep you protected from the unexpected, the Ford Escape is equipped with an impressive suite of active safety features known as Ford Co-Pilot360. Designed to take the uncertainty out of routine driving situations, standard Auto High-Beam Headlamps and Rear-View Camera provide protection against accidents or collisions. Additional safety features available on the Escape include Enhanced Active Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, Forward Collision Warning with Brake Support, and BLIS (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-Traffic Alert. A Personal Safety System™ for the driver and front passenger along with a total of 7 standard airbags surround occupants in a cocoon of safety. Whether you’re an experienced driver or just hitting the road for the first time, the Ford Escape is an exceptional choice when it comes to safety.
Trims & Specs
- Starting at $27,025 MSRP*
- 1.5L Ecoboost® engine with 181 horsepower
- SYNC® Voice Recognition Communications and Entertainment System with 4.2-inch color LCD screen
- Standard FordPass Connect™ with 4G LTE Wi-Fi® Hotspot
- Ford Co-Pilot360™ Technology
- 17-inch Steel Wheels with Sparkle Silver-Painted Covers
- Starting at $28,360 MSRP*
- 1.5L EcoBoost® engine with Auto Start-Stop Technology and 181 horsepower
- 10-way power driver’s seat with power lumbar and recline, heated seating surfaces
- Dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control
- SecuriCode™ Invisible Keypad
- SYNC® 3 with 8-inch touchscreen, Apple CarPlay® & Android Auto™ smartphone integration
- Starting at $30,735 MSRP*
- Halogen projector-beam headlamps with LED signature lighting
- Hands-free Power Liftgate
- Reverse Sensing System
- Heated sideview mirrors and leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Remote Engine Start System
- Starting at $37,145 MSRP*
- 2.0L EcoBoost® engine with 250 horsepower and Auto Start-Stop technology
- Voice-activated Touchscreen Navigation System with pinch-to-zoom capability, and integrated SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link®
- B&O Sound System with 10 speakers and HD Radio™ Technology
- Leather-Trimmed Front Bucket Seats with Driver Seat Memory
- 12.3-inch configurable LCD digital instrument cluster
*Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (also referred to as “MSRP”, “Base MSRP”, “Base Price” or the “Starting At” price), excludes destination/delivery charge, taxes, title, license, and registration and/or electronic filing fees, dealer fees, and total of options.
For authenticated AXZ Plan customers, the price displayed may represent Plan pricing. Not all AXZ Plan customers will qualify for the Plan pricing shown and not all offers or incentives are available to AXZ Plan customers.
**EPA estimated city/highway mpg based on base engine/transmission configuration. Actual mileage will vary.